light[ lahyt ]
1. something that makes things visible or affords illumination: All colors depend on light.
2. a similar form of radiant energy that does not affect the retina, as ultraviolet or infrared rays.
3. the sensation produced by stimulation of the organs of sight.
4. an illuminating agent or source, as the sun, a lamp, or a beacon.
5. the radiance or illumination from a particular source: the light of a candle.
6. the illumination from the sun; daylight: We awoke at the first light.
7. daybreak or dawn: when light appeared in the east.
8. daytime: Summer has more hours of light.
9. a particular light or illumination in which an object seen takes on a certain appearance: viewing the portrait in dim light.
10. a device for or means of igniting, as a spark, flame, or match: Could you give me a light?
11. a traffic light: Don’t cross till the light changes.
12. the aspect in which a thing appears or is regarded: Try to look at the situation in a more cheerful light.
13. the state of being visible, exposed to view, or revealed to public notice or knowledge; limelight: Stardom has placed her in the light.
14. a person who is an outstanding leader, celebrity, or example; luminary: He became one of the leading lights of Restoration drama.
15. one of the brightest parts of a picture.
16. a gleam or sparkle, as in the eyes.
17. a measure or supply of light; illumination: The wall cuts off our light.
18. spiritual illumination or awareness; enlightenment.
19. a window, especially a small one.
20. mental insight; understanding.
21. the information, ideas, or mental capacities possessed: to act according to one’s lights.
22. a lighthouse.
23. the eyesight.
1. having light or illumination; bright; well-lighted: the lightest room in the entire house.
2. pale, whitish, or not deep or dark in color: a light blue.
3. (of coffee or tea) containing enough milk or cream to produce a light color.
verb (used with object)
1. to set burning, as a candle, lamp, fire, match, or cigarette; kindle; ignite.
2. to turn or switch on (an electric light): One flick of the master switch lights all the lamps in the room.
3. to give light to; furnish with light or illumination: The room is lighted by two large chandeliers.
4. to make (an area or object) bright with or as if with light (often followed by up): Hundreds of candles lighted up the ballroom.
5. to cause (the face, surroundings, etc.) to brighten, especially with joy, animation, or the like (often followed by up): A smile lit up her face. Her presence lighted up the room.
6. to guide or conduct with a light: a candle to light you to bed.
verb (used without object)
1. to take fire or become kindled: The damp wood refused to light.
2. to ignite a cigar, cigarette, or pipe for purposes of smoking (usually followed by up): He took out a pipe and lighted up before speaking.
3. to become illuminated when switched on: This table lamp won’t light.
4. to become bright, as with light or color (often followed by up): The sky lights up at sunset.
5. to brighten with animation or joy, as the face or eyes (often followed by up).
1. bring to light.to discover or reveal: The excavations brought to light the remnants of an ancient civilization.
2. come to light.to be discovered or revealed: Some previously undiscovered letters have lately come to light.
3. hide one’s light under a bushel.to conceal or suppress one’s talents or successes.
4. in a good/bad light.under favorable (or unfavorable) circumstances: She worshiped him, but then she’d only seen him in a good light.
5. in (the) light of.taking into account; because of; considering: It was necessary to review the decision in the light of recent developments.
6. light at the end of the tunnel.a prospect of success, relief, or redemption: We haven’t solved the problem yet, but we’re beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel.
7. to begin to accept or understand a point of view one formerly opposed: Her father was opposed to her attending an out-of-town college, but he finally saw the light.
8. shed/throw light on.to clarify; clear up: His deathbed confession threw light on a mystery of long standing.
light[ lahyt ]
1. of little weight; not heavy: a light load.
2. of little weight in proportion to bulk; of low specific gravity: a light metal.
3. of less than the usual or average weight: light clothing.
4. weighing less than the proper or standard amount: to be caught using light weights in trade.
5. of small amount, force, intensity, etc.: light trading on the stock market; a light rain; light sleep.
6. using or applying little or slight pressure or force: The child petted the puppy with light, gentle strokes.
7. not distinct; faint: The writing on the page had become light and hard to read.
8. easy to endure, deal with, or perform; not difficult or burdensome: light duties.
9. not very profound or serious; amusing or entertaining: light reading.
10. of little importance or consequence; trivial: The loss of his job was no light matter.
11. easily digested: light food.
12. low in any substance, as sugar, starch, or tars, that is considered harmful or undesirable: light cigarettes.
13. (especially of beer and wine) having fewer calories and usually a lower alcohol content than the standard product.
14. spongy or well-leavened, as cake.
15. (of soil) containing much sand; porous or crumbly.
16. slender or delicate in form or appearance: a light, graceful figure.
17. airy or buoyant in movement: When she dances, she’s as light as a feather.
18. nimble or agile: light on one’s feet.
19. free from trouble, sorrow, or worry; carefree: a light heart.
20. cheerful; gay: a light laugh.
21. characterized by lack of proper seriousness; frivolous: light conduct.
22. sexually promiscuous; loose.
23. easily swayed; changeable; volatile: a heart light of love; His is a life of a man light of purpose.
24. dizzy; slightly delirious: I get light on one martini.
25. lightly armed or equipped: light cavalry.
26. having little or no cargo, encumbrance, or the like; not burdened: a light freighter drawing little water.
27. adapted by small weight or slight build for small loads or swift movement: The grocer bought a light truck for deliveries.
28. using small-scale machinery primarily for the production of consumer goods: light industry.
29. noting any sail of light canvas set only in moderate or calm weather, as a royal, skysail, studdingsail, gaff topsail, or spinnaker.
30. (of wind) having a speed up to 7 miles per hour (3 m/sec).
31. (of l-sounds) resembling a front vowel in quality; clear: French l is lighter than English l.
33. being in debt to the pot: He’s a dollar light.
1. lightly: to travel light.
2. with no load or cargo hauled or carried: a locomotive running light to its roundhouse.
1. a light product, as a beer or cigarette.
1. make light of.to treat as unimportant or trivial: They made light of our hard-won victory.
light[ lahyt ]
verb (used without object) light·ed, lit, light·ing.
1. to get down or descend, as from a horse or a vehicle.
2. to come to rest, as on a spot or thing; fall or settle upon; land: The bird lighted on the branch. My eye lighted on some friends in the crowd.
3. to come by chance; happen; hit (usually followed by on or upon): to light on a clue; to light on an ideal picnic spot.
4. to fall, as a stroke, weapon, vengeance, or choice, on a place or person: The choice lighted upon our candidate.
1. to make a vigorous physical or verbal attack on: He would light into anyone with the slightest provocation.
2. to leave quickly; depart hurriedly: He lit out of here as fast as his legs would carry him.
lights[ lahyts ]
1. the lungs, especially of sheep, pigs, etc.
Definitions make my toes curl!
I’m in love with my words. What I’m discovering is that these words won’t let me NOT choose them, until their firmly written on my wrist, try bounce around my head like over-excited puppies, you know the kind: the ones that are so happy to see you they pee themselves, and start snorting because they’ve forgotten to breathe normally, their not jut wagging they’re tails- they are wagging they’re entire bodies. Being awoken by this kind of exuberant energy every morning is amazing! And really sets a beautiful tone to get me through my day.
This morning was rough, I was grumpy, having a bad hair day, got woken up mid REM cycle, didn’t like why I was wearing, or feel “light” in any definition of the word, and we know them all. However, a beam of light brighter then Theia’s glow descended upon me curtsy of my grandmother. My gamma has made me, and several others, look in the mirror, when were feeling at our absolute lowest, and say kind things about ourself. I made a snarky comment about how I looked shitty without make-up (it was rather witty, just take my word for it) and my gamma-ray immediately flipped down the passenger side mirror in her car, and made me tell myself that I was beautiful. What I found in that mirror was that, we were right.
My other jolt of light came from a creature just as beautiful as my gam, my girlfriends horse. In one of my stubborn streaks I refused to give her the keys, and got to spend a magical 5 minutes with this magnificent creature. Precious was sweet and attentive, I could see intelligent churning behind her doe eyes, and feel love radiate out from her heart, after leaving her I felt enlightened, inspired, and whole.
These women are my angels.
I think people are sorta like plants, that we all lean towards the light, and when sorting through so much darkness it’s crucial to have these angels as our lanterns, or we get lost. This breed of lost isn’t misplaced space, or a highly unplanned adventure, it’s darkness, that can only be put at bay by those who we love, and the lanterns they unknowingly light.